Before you get started, you have to decide if you want you or your make up to be the star. If it’s you, then these tips are just what you’re looking for!
1. Use a basic mascara (rather than one that claims longer and thicker), and one that matches your eyelash color.
2. If you want to wear a foundation, choose a color by applying the shade on three different areas of your face: Forehead, chin and cheek. If you don’t see it, it’s the right color. (Be aware that your foundation shade will change depending on your exposure to the sun.)
3. Want a bit of radiance and still look natural? Use a highlighting pearlescent cream on your upper cheekbone, eyelids and brow bones. For a body luster try it on your clavicle bones and shoulders, too!
4. Choose blush according to the color of your skin when your circulation is revved up —i.e. when you are actually blushing!—and apply to hairline, cheeks, and the center and sides of your neck. (A bit at the outer corners of your brow bone helps too.)
5. Choose your lip color according to the shade of your inner lip and gums.
6. Blend, blend, blend! You should blend all the makeup you apply.
7. Stay away from powders. Skin is alive and dewy—keep it that way!
Beauty Makeup artist and model Cindy Joseph says less is more as women age. Her new line is a super multitasker.
Is there a woman who hasn’t dabbed a little lipstick on her cheeks for a quick touch-up?
“The whole idea of less is more, that women shouldn’t be slaves to dozens of makeup products, is what I really believe in,” said Cindy Joseph, a makeup artist and model who’s pared down her own cosmetics kit to just a few items. Three of them are from her new line of multiple-use cream sticks called Boom.
The line is not just for Boomers like herself. “Boom is the sound of a revolution in cosmetics,” she says. “Cosmetic companies are constantly adding products; I’m taking away. Mine is the only company that is pro-aging, not antiaging."
The products come in identical chubby silver tubes that fit in the palm of your hand. There’s a sheer berry for cheeks, brow bone, eyes, lips, forehead and neck; a sheer iridescent champagne for the inner corner of the eye, cheekbones, shoulders, decollete; and an olive oil and beeswax moisturizer for lips, cuticles and around the eyes.They are $27 each and sold only on her website.
Judging by the photos and videos, Joseph, who recently turned 60, needs no makeup at all. She’s one of those Emmylou Harris beauties with lovely features, luminous skin and long silver hair, who spends just a few minutes a day on her face before she’s out the door. As women age, she says, looking fresh, rather than made up, is the key.
“The biggest makeup mistake that middle-aged women make is putting on too much under eye concealer,” she said. “At home, it might look OK, but in the daylight, it just looks like a bunch of gunk under your eyes. The older you get, the less makeup you should wear. It’s not a blank canvas anymore.”
After growing up in the Bay Area – Mission San Jose High School, Fremont, class of ’69 – she moved to Paris in the early ’80s and later to New York.
“I was a classic California flower child,” she says. “I went to Haight Ashbury on the weekends, the Fillmore West, the Avalon Ballroom. I was at the center of it all. People still ask me to this day: ‘Are you from San Francisco?’ ”
Joseph married young, had two kids and began her makeup artist career in San Francisco in the late ’70s, working for Macy’s, Esprit de Corp and others.
“I always had the smallest kit and the fewest products of any of my colleagues,” she remembers. She let her hair go gray in her late 40s, and just like that, she was spotted on a New York sidewalk by a scout for the fashion photographer Steven Miesel and has been a model ever since, featured in ads for Target, L.L. Bean, Dolce & Gabbana, DKNY, Olay, Nivea and others.
About a year ago, she went into the cosmetics business herself. “I’d done makeup for two decades and when I created this line, I created what I would want in my own kit,” she says. “I wanted to do a line that was not about hiding, but was about revealing.” The overall effect, she says, is a dewy, glowing face.
“When somebody says to you, ‘Wow, did you fall in love?’ That’s successful makeup.”
Color so sheer your skin tone comes through to customize the color just for you.Click here for details
Adds a subtle pearlescent glimmer to eyelids, cheeks, brow and body for extra radiance!Click here for details
Boomsilk in a stick! Pure, safe, effective, healing moisturizer when you're on the go.Click here for details
Create the look of happiness with all three Boomsticks in one! Great value, great gift.Click here for details
The greatest gift you could give your skin. This bag has everything you need to protect, heal and nourish every inch of your body.Click here for details
Stick to the basics: Enjoy clearer, softer, and more beautiful skin with our most pared-down bag.Click here for details
The complete BOOM! experience! Everything you need to start enjoying a pared-down, all-natural makeup and skincare routine.Click here for details